Llanharan Concrete Co. Limited, a building supplies company, has been fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,889 after an employee lost his finger using a table saw.

The employee was cutting wood with a table saw when his glove got entangled with the moving saw blade, pulling his finger into contact with it.

The injured worker was rushed to hospital where he had to undergo emergency surgery to amputate the top of his left index finger, down to the first knuckle.

The HSE’s investigation revealed that there was inadequate supervision, no risk assessment or safe system of work for using the table saw, and no training was given to the worker before using the saw.

Furthermore, the company had been aware of this deficiency as they had been previously advised by a HSE inspector, and their own health and safety consultants, to implement safe systems of work for their machinery.

Llanharan Concrete Co. Limited of Llanharry Road, Llanharan, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and Regulation 3(1) of the Management of Health and Safety Regulations 1999.

Speaking after the hearing on the 13th March 2018, HSE inspector Lee Jones said: “This injury could have easily been prevented had the risk been identified.”

“Employers should make sure they properly assess and apply effective control measures to minimise the risk from dangerous parts of machinery.”

To discover how Southalls can transform safety standards across all your merchants’ sites, book a free consultation with one of our sector specialists. 

You can find out more about our tailored solutions for Builders Merchants here.