Dangerous substances are standard for all sorts of businesses, from kitchens to chemical plants. Protect your people and the public from inherent risks with responsible working practices and support from Southalls’ DSEAR specialists.
‘Dangerous substances’ can be found in nearly every working environment and include materials like solvents, paints, varnishes, flammable gases such as liquid petroleum gas (LPG), dusts from machining and sanding operations, dusts from foodstuffs, pressurised gases and substances corrosive to metal.
Under the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR), employers are required to control the risks to safety from fire, explosions and corrosives. This means proactively carrying out a health and safety risk assessment to ensure your business is compliant and educating your team on the use and management of potentially harmful materials.
As part of every Southalls DSEAR risk assessment, an expert in your industry will conduct a full health and safety audit to catalogue dangerous substances across your site, as well as the hazards they present.
The assessment will enable you to:
- Locate dangerous substances in your workplace
- Understand their risks
- Contain and control their effects
- Pinpoint potentially explosive atmospheres and eliminate ignition sources within those areas
- Implement policies and procedures to deal with accidents and emergencies
- Train your employees to recognise hazards and work safely with dangerous substances
Based on the results of our initial assessment, we’ll work with you to create a management and training plan covering all DSEAR compliance requirements.
Depending on your current safety provisions, this could include guidance on:
- Eliminating risks by changing working practices or using different materials
- Introducing control measures such as ventilation systems
- Mitigating hazards through the right personal protective equipment
- Designing appropriate emergency plans and procedures
- Training staff to control and deal with the risks of dangerous substances
- RIDDOR reporting in the event of an incident
Let’s work together to keep your people safe from dangerous substances.
Speak to a Southalls consultant today for expert advice on health and safety audits or to arrange a DSEAR risk assessment.